I am a big fan of Indian masala chai. Since it takes a little longer to make than usual tea I like to drink it on the weekends after lunch. Masala Chai has a lot of nostalgic value for me, it reminds me of India. I remember waking up to the beautiful aroma of Chai, my Mom or Dad making chai first thing in the morning.
Since Turmeric Teas has a Chai Tea blend, it was only natural for me to try making Chai using Turmeric Teas Dawn, energizing organic loose leaf chai tea with turmeric root. My favourite masalas (Hindi for spices) in chai are ginger and cardamom, both of which are part of the ingredients of Turmeric Teas Dawn blend. I like my masala chai with extra ginger so I also added Turmeric Teas Winter blend to my Turmeric Chai recipe. I love the golden brown colour of this tea as well as how the earthy taste of turmeric is balanced by the aromatic and sweet-spicy flavours in ginger, cardamom and cinnamon.
Servings: 2 cups, 250 ml each
- Water (440 ml)
- Turmeric Tea Dawn (2 tsp)
- Turmeric Teas Winter (1.5 tsp)
- Organic sugar or honey or your preferred sweetener
- Whole milk or your favourite alternative (60 ml)
- Add Turmeric Teas Winter blend and water to a pan and bring to a boil
- Add milk, sugar and bring to a boil
- Turn off the heat and add Turmeric Teas Dawn blend
- Steep for 4 minutes
- Strain and serve
Recipe by Prashant Dube, pictures by Richa Gupta.