With summer in full effect, it’s the perfect time to introduce smoothies into your diet. Smoothies are an excellent way to nourish your body with vitamins and minerals. It can be challenging consuming your recommended intake of 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables daily. However, smoothies are so quick and easy to make that blending a few vegetables and fruits help ensure you are reaching your daily nutritional intake. You can take your smoothies to the next level by using chilled tea as a base for additional health benefits. The smoothie recipe below is so refreshing on a hot summer day, but yet oh-so nutrient dense. The base used in this recipe is Summer organic loose-leaf tea with Turmeric (Curcumin), which aids greatly in digestion because of the added benefits of peppermint and fennel in this blend. Pineapple also has a digestive enzyme called bromelain. Bromelain helps break down proteins, which helps your body digest food and absorb nutrients more efficiently. So not only will you be enjoying the refreshing taste of this delicious smoothie with all of it’s healing benefits, but your digestive system will sure to be happy as well!
- 2 tsp. Summer organic loose-leaf tea
- 16 oz of hot water
- ¼ cup of fresh pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup of peeled and diced seedless cucumber
- 3 mint leaves
- 2 tsp. of Summer organic loose-leaf tea steeped in 16 oz of hot water for 5 minutes.
- Let steeped tea cool down in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Place steeped tea pineapple, cucumber and mint in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add more cold water for thinner consistency.
Alexandra Daugherty, CNP • Holistic Nutritionist