If you've been searching for a healthier alternative to sugary pop, you've got to try this tasty Turmeric Apple Zinger! Great taste with a fraction of the sugar found in your favourite pop beverage.
Lately, more and more people have been trying to limit the amount of sugar in their diets, given the many detrimental impacts a high sugar diet can have on your health. In fact, sugar has recently been deemed the "new fat", and recent exposure has shed light onto the fact that the sugar industry actually paid Scientists in the 1960's to downplay the clear link between sugar and heart disease, and instead shifted the blame onto fat as the leading culprit. This exposure has had notable repercussions and consumers are on the hunt for some low-sugar alternatives to their favourite foods and drinks.
That said, these products are unfortunately not so easy to find as many prepared foods contain added sugar. In fact, a recent article published by the Globe and Mail cites that 66% of prepared foods contain added sugar! This article also highlights the frightening fact that Canadian children are consuming 5 times (that's right.... 5 TIMES) more sugar than they should!
Make the shift to lesson the sugar consumption in your family by carefully reading labels and limiting your sugary drink intake. Reach for healthy alternatives like the Turmeric Apple Zinger! This beverage is super simple to make - only 3 ingredients (including our delicious Winter Tea) and is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Plus it has a pretty fun name that the kids will love :)
All you'll need for two drinks:
- 1 cup of Winter Tea (1tsp of loose leaf tea steeped in 1 cup of water)
- 1 cup organic apple juice - we love Kiju's line of organic juices!
- 1 cup of ice
- 1/2 of an apple - thinly sliced
- Combine the chilled Winter tea, apple juice, and 1/2 cup of ice in a large martini shaker and shake until well combined. (TIP: Use cold brewed that has had lots of time to steep! Not sure how to cold brew? Learn here!)
- Poor into two cups with the remaining ice, garnish with apple slices
- Enjoy your delicious (guilt-free) beverage!
by: Nicole Harvey